Skip to main content

Book thoughts: Rethinking Grading: Meaningful Assessment for Standards-Based Learning by Cathy Vattertott



Near the beginning of my career in education, my mentor teacher and friend told me about an organization called ASCD that had transformed her teaching even late into her career. Since then, I have been a member and have enjoyed the shipment of 5 separate books that comes each year. For the most part, these books dig deeper into subjects that I have a cursory knowledge in and help me to further hone and refine my craft. I have treasured this membership even more so as an administrator and have used it to provide resources to teachers that I am working with. No kickbacks here, just a plug for something I personally have enjoyed and benefitted from.

The member book for this month centers on the issue of standards based grading, which involves rethinking traditional forms of grading that have persisted for decades. Standards based grading as a movement challenges notions about what our purpose is as a school, what the purpose of student work is and what outcomes we should seek for students. Cathy Vatterott begins the book with a synopsis of the history of education and some of the older notions that answer these questions before giving definitions of how the paradigm shifts under a standards based grading system. I think my favorite aspect of this shift as described by Vatterott is in how we define what learning is: "Learning is defined by the standards- not by what students know, but by what they can do with what they know." This definition, as well as what the rest of this shift means, is parsed out in the rest of the book through Vatterott's justification for a new paradigm and then an explanation of what that paradigm entails in practice. 

For teachers who are still struggling with what the shift from a traditional grading system to a standards based system will look like, I would strongly recommend this as a great beginning book. I found the charts that exist throughout the book to be very useful in particular as they provide a clear and concise illustration of this shift. The rather simple T-charts between the traditional grading system and standards based grading system could otherwise be labeled "what standards based grading is and what standards based grading is not". Either way you look at them, they are a good primer for delving deeper into understanding this shift.

Also of note, Ms. Vatterott outlines for teachers ways that they can blend a standards based grading system with structural barriers that may exist in a teacher's current context. Even teachers who function under district mandated grading rules can employ the strategies of a standards based grading system with a considerable amount of fidelity. I particularly found it useful that Ms. Vatterott gave examples of ways that various teachers have done grade conversion systems in light of a requirement to give letter or number grades. This is particularly useful to my high school teaching colleagues and friends as we still operate very heavily in that type of system. Also, for those who are looking at making a greater change throughout a system of a school or district, the last chapter of the book is dedicated to how to frame the need for change and also how to avoid pitfalls while trying to execute the change to standards based grading system-wide.

Overall, I would say that I found this to be a useful and helpful read. Standards based grading is a subject that is not specific to any one grade level or content and is something that is worth consideration if you have student learning as the center of your personal educational philosophy. If you are well read in education literature, you can probably skip the exposition about what the traditional educational system has established in regards to grading and focus your reading on the paradigm shift piece.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret to Leading a School: Stay in Love

I had a moment this past week where I was walking around campus and things were just clicking. I was so in love with what I saw, that I went back to my post in the media center (where I prefer to spend my time instead of the office) and grabbed my cell phone so that I could take some pictures. The reason I felt so in love at that particular moment was that we were able to turn a schedule design challenge into something that would directly benefit our learners; and I was seeing the benefits to our learners in action! Our design issues was around the movement of our campus to a modified block bell schedule AND still trying to make time for our cross-grade level advisories that we call Networking. The result of that was the development of flexible days where learners sing up to go to particular classes as needed (or as required). 
What I saw on my walk of the building was the idealization of our goal to provide flexible scheduling to meet needs. There were learners who were having one on…

Leading by Doing: Why I am Using PBL to Design Professional Development

When I was first introduced to Project Based Learning it was as an offshoot to a much larger training that was provided to teachers in my (previous) district. I was in a group of classroom teachers who sought out the challenge of being a 1-to-1 iPad classroom in a school system that had previously not had this level of technology integration. The training was offered in such a way that the primary mechanism for teacher behavior change was through sparking interest and curiosity among educators. The goal being that we would feel comfortable stepping out on a limb and taking risks if we saw that there were other ways of doing things. The introduction went like a lot of professional development in a lot of places: As you can imagine there were a lot of people who were excited to try out Project Based Learning (PBL) and I was definitely one of them. Not long before leaving the classroom, I even launched my own nascent project that I fully regret not staying in the classroom a little longer…

Part 2: Leading by Doing: Why I am Using PBL to Design Professional Development

Identifying the Learning Objective
Recently, I shared the reasons why I am using Project Based Learning as a design model for our professional learning as a campus. This week, I would like to describe the early steps of that process.
I was hired in early July to be the principal of New Tech High @ Coppell. Any time you enter a new system (I was hired from outside the district) and especially a new campus, it can take some time to review the data, make observations, and develop a plan. The goal is to make sure that the plan that is created is not just driven by the traditions of the school or by the proclivities of the new leader, but by the current and future needs of the campus.
The first step in designing a lesson, project, etc. is understanding what standards, objectives, or essential questions that need to be obtained. When designing professional learning, the process begins just the same, the only difference is the question must be answered for adult learners. As a project based cam…

Currently Reading