How My Fitbit is Making Me a Better School Administrator

The day spring break started, I came home to the package I had been waiting for: my Fitbit. I had been wanting an activity tracker for a while and selected the one I have after research and fitting my needs and lifestyle. When you buy an activity tracker, your primary purpose is to use data to help you meet your fitness and wellness goals. What I didn't expect was that it would also help me meet my professional ones as well.

For context, this last week was a big one for me and will continue to be as we build our schedule for next year, have students arena schedule, and then make tweaks to that schedule as we hit our retiring/resignation season and do the hiring that requires. This can mean a lot of office time if I'm not strategic and on top of my game. In short, my to-do list gets big and it is easy to be overtaken by it. A recent Harvard Business School article explains this well.

So where does the Fitbit come in? I was surprised too. I found that if I was in the office taking care of one of any number of things I might also check my watch. If I checked my watch, I also wanted to know how I was on my step goal that day. Not great on my step goal? Maybe I should also tackle my walkthrough (short, documented observations of what is going on in classrooms) goal. Catching up on my walkthrough goal but still short on steps? Maybe I should visit with my Department Learning Leaders about instruction, students, programs, or next year's schedule. Aren't these conversations better face to face?

The point is, that challenging myself to be in more places means I can affect more places. Isn't that the role of an administrator?




Comments