Skip to main content

Keeping a Pick-me-up Folder

It is miraculous, but for the first time in recent history I am getting to enjoy a four day weekend before we have our last few days of school. The Dallas-Ft. Worth area has had some ice and snow in recent years and that has meant that usually we don't get our bad weather makeup days off (today is one of those days and we have if off!!!). While I recharge this weekend, I also decided to do some tasks that I've been putting off. One of those tasks was cleaning out my embarrassingly large inbox. While cleaning my inbox I found a gem that I had long forgotten about; it was an email that a parent sent me the day that I announced to my students that I was leaving my teaching position mid-year to be an assistant principal at the other high school in my district. Here is part of what she wrote:


I imagine the reason I never deleted this is because I hadn't printed it off to put in my "Pick-me-up Folder". Teachers and other educators who have been in the business a while know exactly what I am talking about. It's that folder of thank you notes, affirmations, certificates, awards, etc that you keep somewhere safe so that you can pull it out when things get challenging, because things will get challenging. 

What do you have in your folder? If you can't remember, it may be a great time to revisit it. I didn't even know I needed a pick-me-up until I saw this and I'm pretty sure now that I'll make it through that one last lunch duty, those three school days, and that graduation ceremony.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leading by Doing: Why I am Using PBL to Design Professional Development

When I was first introduced to Project Based Learning it was as an offshoot to a much larger training that was provided to teachers in my (previous) district. I was in a group of classroom teachers who sought out the challenge of being a 1-to-1 iPad classroom in a school system that had previously not had this level of technology integration. The training was offered in such a way that the primary mechanism for teacher behavior change was through sparking interest and curiosity among educators. The goal being that we would feel comfortable stepping out on a limb and taking risks if we saw that there were other ways of doing things. The introduction went like a lot of professional development in a lot of places: As you can imagine there were a lot of people who were excited to try out Project Based Learning (PBL) and I was definitely one of them. Not long before leaving the classroom, I even launched my own nascent project that I fully regret not staying in the classroom a little longer…

Tales of a Rookie Principal, Lesson 4: Be the Loudest, Craziest Person in the Room

If you have known me for any amount of time you know that I am an introspective introvert who tries very hard in the school setting to be a school spirited extrovert. I became very intentional in this shift a little under a year ago while I was traveling with our volleyball team to the regional tournament in Abilene. Like the parents that were there, I was sad that we didn't have a student cheering section along with us to power our ladies to victory and knew that we needed to do something about it.

So what is a lone associate principal to do? Lead the cheering of course! Not having been a former cheerleader myself, my efforts consisted mostly of yelling chants that I know. I yelled so loud and so often over the course of two days that I lost my voice by the end of the weekend. The best part was, the volleyball moms joined me in the chants and we helped power our girls to a near-victory in the regional final. It was a fun, but new experience for me to be the loudest and craziest p…

Part 2: Leading by Doing: Why I am Using PBL to Design Professional Development

Identifying the Learning Objective
Recently, I shared the reasons why I am using Project Based Learning as a design model for our professional learning as a campus. This week, I would like to describe the early steps of that process.
I was hired in early July to be the principal of New Tech High @ Coppell. Any time you enter a new system (I was hired from outside the district) and especially a new campus, it can take some time to review the data, make observations, and develop a plan. The goal is to make sure that the plan that is created is not just driven by the traditions of the school or by the proclivities of the new leader, but by the current and future needs of the campus.
The first step in designing a lesson, project, etc. is understanding what standards, objectives, or essential questions that need to be obtained. When designing professional learning, the process begins just the same, the only difference is the question must be answered for adult learners. As a project based cam…