Skip to main content

How Twitter Chats Act as Synapses

In a previous life that is closely connected to this current one, I was an AP Psychology teacher. Just bringing this fact up makes me want to preach the value that psychology has to anyone and everyone, but I'll set that one diatribe aside for now.

What I want to ponder now is the way that information is shared and leads to the overall edification of individuals as they participate in twitter chats. Tonight, as a part of my summer of professional learning, I decided to participate in a twitter chat that I had never been a part of before. I happened to see a Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented post on twitter for a chat they were leading tonight titled "Where's the 'Off' Button? Helping Parents of Young Gifted Children". You can see the chat here on storify.

As I was reflecting on the value that the chat had for me as an educator and as the mom of a preschool aged gifted child, I thought about how learning takes place and how twitter chats (and twitter itself) function much like the transmission of an impulse from one nerve to another. I was reminded in particular of what a synapse is: Merriam Webster defines a synapse quite simply as, "the place where a signal passes from one nerve cell to another". A twitter chat is much like that. If you consider our ideas as an impulse that we share across a space (twitter) then we are both literally and figuratively growing neural connections. If that isn't valuable professional learning, I'm not sure what is.


Here is a picture from my AP Psychology days from my students representing neurons with household objects. Original blog post here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret to Leading a School: Stay in Love

I had a moment this past week where I was walking around campus and things were just clicking. I was so in love with what I saw, that I went back to my post in the media center (where I prefer to spend my time instead of the office) and grabbed my cell phone so that I could take some pictures. The reason I felt so in love at that particular moment was that we were able to turn a schedule design challenge into something that would directly benefit our learners; and I was seeing the benefits to our learners in action! Our design issues was around the movement of our campus to a modified block bell schedule AND still trying to make time for our cross-grade level advisories that we call Networking. The result of that was the development of flexible days where learners sing up to go to particular classes as needed (or as required). 
What I saw on my walk of the building was the idealization of our goal to provide flexible scheduling to meet needs. There were learners who were having one on…

Leading by Doing: Why I am Using PBL to Design Professional Development

When I was first introduced to Project Based Learning it was as an offshoot to a much larger training that was provided to teachers in my (previous) district. I was in a group of classroom teachers who sought out the challenge of being a 1-to-1 iPad classroom in a school system that had previously not had this level of technology integration. The training was offered in such a way that the primary mechanism for teacher behavior change was through sparking interest and curiosity among educators. The goal being that we would feel comfortable stepping out on a limb and taking risks if we saw that there were other ways of doing things. The introduction went like a lot of professional development in a lot of places: As you can imagine there were a lot of people who were excited to try out Project Based Learning (PBL) and I was definitely one of them. Not long before leaving the classroom, I even launched my own nascent project that I fully regret not staying in the classroom a little longer…

Part 2: Leading by Doing: Why I am Using PBL to Design Professional Development

Identifying the Learning Objective
Recently, I shared the reasons why I am using Project Based Learning as a design model for our professional learning as a campus. This week, I would like to describe the early steps of that process.
I was hired in early July to be the principal of New Tech High @ Coppell. Any time you enter a new system (I was hired from outside the district) and especially a new campus, it can take some time to review the data, make observations, and develop a plan. The goal is to make sure that the plan that is created is not just driven by the traditions of the school or by the proclivities of the new leader, but by the current and future needs of the campus.
The first step in designing a lesson, project, etc. is understanding what standards, objectives, or essential questions that need to be obtained. When designing professional learning, the process begins just the same, the only difference is the question must be answered for adult learners. As a project based cam…

Currently Reading