The Challenges of Being a Change Agent

The other night, I participated in my first #ASCDL2L chat over being a change agent. This is probably the largest live twitter chat that I have participated in and boy did it move fast. I was impressed by all of the thinking that people from around the country (and possibly world) brought to the very important topic. If you want to see more about this chat (highly recommend), please see the tweet below:


In all of the excitement in defining what a change agent is, how you can be one, and who lead you to be a change agent, there was an undercurrent of "yes, but". Anyone who has ever tried to initiate a change anywhere has probably run into this rather pernicious roadblock. I know that the "yes, buts" that I was picking up on came from real places of struggle and I do not what to trivialize the difficulty of facing real barriers. I myself have stumbled upon a few in my own effort to be a change agent.

Based on the twitter chat, I have summarized below some of the external and internal barriers that hold people back from being a change agent:

I can't be a change agent because
1. my leadership doesn't act as a change agent/ and isn't supportive of change agents

2. I'm the only one on my team who wants to be a change agent

3. it is hard/scary to be the first person to do something

4. I don't wan't to fail

Each one of these "yes, buts" is sufficient to stop someone in their tracks and, admittedly has stopped me at times. I am resolving to think different and be different. I plan on keeping the following in mind and share it with you:






Comments