Using Movement to Increase Learning



Prior to becoming an administrator, I was introduced to an instructional strategy called total physical response or "TPR". The professional developer who used the strategy was a history teacher who, when he called out certain names or terms, had assigned individuals to stand up and say something about the person or term. It was a fun and riveting strategy and something I decided to adapt for my classroom. Being an AP Psychology teacher, I thought what more fun unit to do this in than the unit on the brain. I guess it worked because I got this message from a former student tonight:


I can't think of a teacher on the planet who doesn't love hearing that their efforts paid off, no matter how long it has been. Interested in learning more about why physical movement is good for learning and memory? Eric Jensen's work will always be a good reference. Read more here.

Want to know more about total physical response? Read more here.

Comments