The Secret to Leading a School: Stay in Love





I had a moment this past week where I was walking around campus and things were just clicking. I was so in love with what I saw, that I went back to my post in the media center (where I prefer to spend my time instead of the office) and grabbed my cell phone so that I could take some pictures. The reason I felt so in love at that particular moment was that we were able to turn a schedule design challenge into something that would directly benefit our learners; and I was seeing the benefits to our learners in action! Our design issues was around the movement of our campus to a modified block bell schedule AND still trying to make time for our cross-grade level advisories that we call Networking. The result of that was the development of flexible days where learners sing up to go to particular classes as needed (or as required). 

What I saw on my walk of the building was the idealization of our goal to provide flexible scheduling to meet needs. There were learners who were having one on one conferences with facilitators. There were learners who were attending club meetings (that they might have missed if they were after school). There were learners attending workshops. There were even learners enjoying an open gym!

After having this experience, I came across this passage in one of my doctoral program books: 

When anyone asks me that question, I tell them I have the secret to success in life. The secret to success is to stay in love. Staying in love gives you the fire to ignite other people, to see inside other people, to have a greater desire to get things done than other people. A person who is not in love doesn't really feel the kind of excitement that helps them to get ahead and to lead others and to achieve. I don't know any other fire, any other thing in life that is more exhilarating and is more. positive a feeling than love is. 
       - former US Army Major General John H. Stanford quoted in The Leadership Challenge (5th ed.)



If the secret to success is staying in love, my campus is making me a successful person indeed!



Comments